Sunday, August 2, 2009

Tools of the trade

Ran 10km yesterday! Have now completed a quarter of my marathon. I'm confident I can do this; I've only been back running properly for a week after all. Already I'm noticing the difference, I can fit back into my jeans again and the pouch I wear around my waist for running is much looser. Bonus!

Yesterday was a beautiful day for a run and as I made my way up one of the many hills I thought to myself how much I was enjoying my run and how well it was all going. Then my iPod headphones crapped out. Talk about ruin the moment! It ruined the whole run actually. Not enough to stop me carrying on but it was still a real pain running more than half the distance with intermittent crackling in one ear. When running long distances I like everything to be perfect. By this I don't mean the weather (although obviously it helps if it's not piddling with rain or blowing a howling gale) but other things in general, such as:

The Right Underwear - Hugely important! Bridget Jones had the right idea with her huge undies. The last thing you want is to run any sort of distance with a huge wedgie. I learned a long time ago that Nanna knickers are the way to go. You also don't want to run in a bra where the straps are either too tight, or so loose that you have to keep constantly hitching them up as you're going along.

Music - I can't run without music. Well I can, but I'd really rather not. It's motivating and it has a huge effect on my mood when I'm running. Hence it's essential for me to make sure my iPod is always charged so it doesn't die on me. I also learned yesterday to carry a spare pair of headphones in case they let you down too. Talking of headphones, I have found those silly little ear buds don't stay in your ears when running. The best ones I've come across are the type which hook over your ears. They work well, never fall out and are heaps cheaper than the posh ones too.

Lucky hat - I always have a lucky running hat; one which I keep just for running. The last hat wasn't so lucky because it got chewed it to pieces by our spaniel, but prior to that it served me well. Forced to find a replacement I asked the kids to choose me a new lucky running hat in Rebel Sports. I should have known better - they assured me the one they picked was 'cool' at the time but as soon as I put it on when I got home they fell about laughing and continue to do so every time I go for a run in it. Still, it's my lucky running hat and will see me through this marathon - as long as the dog doesn't find it...

Starburst lollies - I learned this tip from Kerre Woodham! She uses jelly snakes actually but those are pretty hard to come by in Te Kauwhata. However I have found Starburst to be an essential to pack in my pouch when running further than 5km. They are an awesome energy boost when you need it and stop your mouth going dry when you can't have a drink. I use them as rewards when I have to run up a particularly daunting hill. I pop one in my mouth at the bottom of the hill and enjoy the flavour all the way up but I don't let myself chew it until I'm at the top. Works a treat!

At least the only thing which let me down yesterday were the headphones. Another bonus was my hubby meeting me along the road unexpectedly half way through with an ice cold bottle of Powerade. Bliss! You would not BELIEVE how magical that stuff is. Most people just buy it 'cos they think it looks cool and tastes nice but it really does the job when you actually need it. We've been lucky enough to hang out with the ACT Brumbies a couple of times and they always have a constant supply of Powerade and jelly snakes on hand. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment