Wednesday, August 5, 2009

More haste, more speed!

Hey, I'm on the front page of the North Waikato News! Shame I'm the most unphotogenic person in the universe but if it helps spread the word I'm happy. The article was excellent and at least my legs don't look fat! It certainly seems to have done the job raising awareness already - when I was out for my run yesterday afternoon everyone who went past beeped and waved madly at me, that doesn't usually happen!

I've only been back running for 10 days and already I can really feel an improvement in my fitness. Yesterday I went to the gym for an hour long circuit training session. Last time I went to one of these it nearly killed me and I was groaning in agony for days afterwards but this time I barely broke a sweat. In fact I had to go for a run later, it didn't feel as though I had done enough! It doesn't take long to get fit once you start putting the work in but I'm really impatient when it comes to improving my time speedwise. I've already knocked four minutes of my 5km time but I want to get it down to my previous best of 24 minutes. I can do it in 26 at the moment, which is still a big improvement from 30 minutes last week!

Last night I had the pleasure of talking to Bryce's dad on the phone for the first time. I was pretty nervous but I needn't have worried, he was a lovely friendly chap. Turns out he's run a few marathons in his time too, in fact his old training ground is just a few minutes from where I live! Small world. He reckons if I can run a half marathon in two hours I should be able to complete a full one in four hours no worries. That's my ultimate goal. My conservative goal is four and a half hours, as managed by Kerre Woodham. If I can do it in that time I'll be happy but every minute under will be a bonus. I'll also be considerably faster than the likes of Al Gore and Katie Holmes!

No comments:

Post a Comment